[Gambas-user] Miscellaneous routines for text box validation

Stefano Palmeri rospolosco at ...152...
Fri Feb 8 11:32:51 CET 2008

Alle 04:39, venerdì 8 febbraio 2008, richard terry ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> My gambas learning project is progressing well (a contacts database
> manager), and I've got the point I can create new people/names/address(es),
> etc, now have to fine tune the gui, so not wanting to re-invent the wheel,
> I wondered if anyone had in their possession, or pointers to it, code which
> would do stuff like.
>
> for textboxes:
>
> Autocapitalise, or autocaps
> Date validation routines/formatting routines
> Name auto capitalisation eg for McBeth, or O'Neil etc
>
> Also In VB  in the textbox routines one had (index, keyascii) and one could
> manipulate the keyascii value to whatever to either exclude keys or
> autocapitalise things etc
>
> I wondered how this worked in gambas, as though I can detect the keypress,
> I couldnt see a way to send back a changed key value to the textbox.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>

> Richard

Hi, Richard.

In the attached example, you have a form with a textbox.
What it does:

1) it autocapitalises the text when it changes

2) print the ascii code of the pressed key

3) it doesn't allow "W" or "w"

4) when you press space bar it becomes an underscore

all is commented in the code, so you see what does what.

I think it will not be difficult for you to manage Mc or O'
using string manipulation functions.

Regards,

Stefano Palmeri