[Gambas-user] Small window without gadgets

Joshua Higgins joshiggins at ...1601...
Mon Dec 8 18:01:33 CET 2008

I know its not the gambas way, but if you have a notification-daemon and
dbus running, install the package libnotify-bin. Then you can use the
command notify-send to create popups on the screen near the system tray.

They look like this:

(ubuntu) http://tjeb.nl/Projects/Mailbox_Alert/mailboxalert_example.png
(normal)
http://wagiaalla.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/notify-send.png

hth

2008/12/8 Rolf-Werner Eilert <eilert-sprachen at ...221...>

> [...]
>
> Do you know if it's possible to control if it points upwards or
> downwards? What I found out is, when the control it points to is below
> .Height/2 of its parent, it will point upwards, otherwise downwards. And
> I cannot control left or right pointing, too. Everything else: great thing.
>
> In contrary to Benoit, I think it won't replace Message class, however,
> because it doesn't have buttons the user can click on, there is no
> interaction, so it's limited to displaying something.
>
> About the Tray Icon, I tried with a small window and a balloon pointing
> to its lower right edge. When you drag the window around the screen, the
> balloon won't disappear as long as you are dragging but it will change
> its pointing edge and form. So I dragged the window into the lower right
> edge of the screen, under Kicker and the Tray. The balloon will stop at
> the border of Kicker, it won't continue pointing on the window's edge,
> neither above nor under the tray.
>
> So I guess that Kicker and the tray have another level on the screen,
> above the windows. Maybe one could change this by some option in the
> window manager's control, something like "always there" or "always on
> top" such as in Windows. But your idea should work with either option,
> of course.
>
> Sorry I can't help any more, but thank you for pointing me to the
> balloon thing :-)
>
> Rolf
>

> Toni schrieb:
> > Hi Rolf again,
> > By ballon I meant "gb.form.ballon", a Message like class.
> > I couldn't get it pointing to a Tray Icon, but otherwise I find it
> > pretty nice and unobtrusive :)
> > Regards,
> > Toni
> >

> > En/na Rolf-Werner Eilert ha escrit:
> >> Hi Toni,

> >> never mind :-) I've been into Gambas for quite some time now, but I'm
> >> still far away from being an expert...

> >> Didn't find that - is it one of the examples?
> >>
> >> In the examples, I did find the thing with the transparent clock and the
> >> other clock example. But those seem to have to do with transparency
> >> rather than with just a window without gadgets.
> >>
> >> Though I tried to do the same and failed - I don't know why my windows
> >> always have gadgets, even when I say "Border - None", and I cannot make
> >> out any other difference between my own programs and the examples
> >> (except the drawing routines). The examples run flawlessly here, my own
> >> programs always show standard windows.
> >>
> >> So, where's the trick?
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Rolf

> it

> hint

> update

> challenge
> >> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great
> prizes
> >> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the

joshua higgins