[Gambas-user] using icons from system theme without specifiying full path

Joshua Higgins joshiggins at ...1601...
Tue Dec 2 20:29:00 CET 2008

Okay, I've got a bash script which you hand a .desktop file and it searches
and returns the path of the icon (i'll post if anyone else is interested).

but... not all the icons are the same size. Is there a way (without manually
resizing them) to have a consistent icon size in a ListView?

2008/12/2 Benoit Minisini <gambas at ...1...>

> On dimanche 30 novembre 2008, Joshua Higgins wrote:
> > well.... I'm making an application launcher. It reads all the .desktop
> > files from under /usr/share/applications and after loads of splitting
> adds
> > them to a ListView.
> >
> > .desktop file layed out as follows:
> >
> > [Desktop Entry]
> > Type=Application
> > Name=Inkscape
> > Comment=Vector Graphics Editor
> > Exec=inkscape
> > Icon=inkscape.png
> > Categories=GNOME;Utility;
> >
> > The problem I'm having is that the icons are described as they are in the
> > theme, i.e. just the file name, not by the path, and I'm struggling to
> find
> > a reliable way to resolve this back to the path to the icon, which I can
> > then load into Gambas.
> >

> Gambas internally uses its own algorithm to get desktop icons from theme,
> because it needs to get the current icon theme first, which depends on the
> current desktop being used. Then it use a desktop-dependent method to get
> the
> path of the icon theme.
>
> But the real algorithm you must follow is described by a freedesktop
> standard
> at:
>

> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
>
> Regards,