[Gambas-user] Q:how to save a file.png into Postgresql

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Sun Aug 31 03:10:49 CEST 2008

snip..

> Did you look at the "PictureDatabase" example? It stores images files from
> disk into a database, and retrieves them.

Thanks, yes I've done that overnight since your suggestion, and now have this
problem:

My gambas code goes something like this and I've selected the png file to load
which has been passed to this routine as ImagePath.

Public sub Save_Image(ImagePath as string)

 Dim img As Image
 Dim pictureData As String
 Dim sql As String

  img = Image.Load(ImagePath)  ' Save temp image as png file
  tempFile = Temp() & ".png"
  img.Save(tempFile)

  pictureData = File.Load(tempFile) 'reload as a string

At this point the pictureData string seems  to be ok.

I Then tried writing to the database:

  sql = "insert into temp_image(piccie)"
          "values($$"
    sql = sql & pictureData & "$$)"

and got back this message:

Query failed:ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8":0x89 HINT: This
error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding
expected by the server, which is controlled  by "client_encoding"

Spent a couple of hours trawling the postgres help and looking up
client-encoding, pg_types  etc etc, but with my limited brain power I got
nowhere

Any idea's?

Regards

Richard