[Gambas-user] directory structure development environment

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Apr 16 14:11:13 CEST 2008

On mercredi 16 avril 2008, Steven Lobbezoo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Probably a stupid question ;-) , but anyway :
>
> In my application i have more and more sub programs that do some tasks
> in the back-ground. These programs are developed each in it's own
> directory (as I understood it, it's not possible otherwise). All of them
> have some common routines like opening and accessing a database,
> printing, accessing openoffice files, etc.
>
> Now, I can, of course, put those routines in a class or module, and each
> time copie these to the current directory. However, thats a lot of work,
> since each time i change something in them, i have to apply these
> changes to all directories.
>
> Is there now way (apart from making a component) to have some 'central'
> derectory where one could puut these modules/classes and them include
> them into a program (like with javascript include statement).
>
> That would really be a lot of help in the development. Or maybe to make
> a component that does NOT integrate into the gambas source tree ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steven

You can use symbolic links: when you add a new form, a new class and so on,
you have a check box in the dialog that allows you to specify that you want
to make a symbolic link instead of copying the file.

You can do that by hand too.

This is rudimentary, but useful anyway.

You could share code by using a component too, but it is a little complex, and
the packager don't correctly deal with dependencies on user components at the
moment. I will try to fix that...

Benoit Minisini