[Gambas-user] mailing lists to forum topics

Gareth Bult gareth at ...1689...
Tue Sep 4 09:43:33 CEST 2007

>Because regardless of the RSS feeds, gatewaying the mailing lists will accomplish one of two things, either of which is obnoxious.

>1. It's a one-way gateway, in which case people on the forums will answer questions from people on the list, unbeknownst to people on the list.

How exactly are they going to accomplish that?
Only admin staff have permissions to post to these two lists .... ?????

>2. It's a two-way gateway, in which case we'll be getting responses on the lists from people who aren't subscribed to the lists, most likely with a catch-all address preventing us from responding to them directly.

The only people who can post to the list are myself and Benoît, and possibly Fabien.

So what's the problem ?

> c. Expand - in which case mailing list traffic will eventually> overwhelm the list.

>This hasn't happened with more popular projects like Pan, GNOME and the Linux kernel, so I can't imagine why it would happen to Gambas.

Because they all tend to put problems through bug trackers rather than mailing lists.
Something that's not taken off yet with Gambas.

>Well, if the mailing lists and forums are one and the same, the forums aren't an alternative at all, are they?

Mailing list information is an extension to the Forum database - they are not the same!

>Feeding mailing lists into the forums may help the forums by creating a facade of critical mass, but I don't think it'll help the mailing lists, or those looking for answers to problems, at all.

... so it will help some people, I don't see how it can hurt anyone.

I fail to see why you have such a problem with this ?

Gareth.