[Gambas-user] Suse 10.3 for not-showing interface on startup of gambas2

Wed Nov 21 18:15:43 CET 2007

Steven Lobbezoo schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Finally, I give up on my battle with gambas 2 on suse 10.2.
> Surely the problem is connected to securety issues (it appeared after I did an
> regular update online with open suse), but I donnot have the time to learn
> all the details the  dcop server, usable docs are virtually non-existent, and
> it seems impossible to get an answer on the opensuse forums.
> It REALLY is a shame that these people (who ?) send updates into the world
> that causes so much harm to the linux community. Alltough a fervent advocate
> of unix/linux since 1982, I must say it's totally not understandable that
> this soup of versions and incompatibility issues still exists.
>
> I must be the only guy in the world, who keeps his suse 10.2 up to date and
> uses gambas !
>
> Whatever, as a desperate last try to not lose all the development I did in
> gambas and open office, i will upgrade to suse 10.3. (I suppose that's what
> they want ;-( ).
>
> So my question : has anyone run the latest gambas2 trunk on a opensuse 10.3
> system ? Does it work ? Under KDE and Gnome ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your views,
>
> Steven

Hi Steven,

I'm using Gambas 1 on daily basis on a Suse 9.1 system, but Gambas2
hasn't worked on it since Benoit changed to the MDI system. First I
tried out many things, but to no avail. Same problem: it's running in
the background, but never shows up.

Now there is a new system which I did update from 10.2 to 10.3 from a
free DVD from a magazine. Gambas2 runs flawlessly on this system (but it
did on the 10.2 anyway).

However, this 10.3 doesn't recognize my DVD writer. There's something
wrong with one of the KDE services, but nobody could help me so far.
Maybe I'll try a fresh install with this distro. I just mention this to
show you there might be some obstacles on the way from an updated
system... (I even considered trying Kubuntu, but how to burn an install
DVD if you haven't got a writer?)

Rolf