[Gambas-user] Best desktop manager to run Gambas

Daniel Campos dcamposf at ...626...
Tue May 15 17:05:40 CEST 2007

Hi:

> Yes, this worked fine.
> But I've also noticed that after I changed the font size, the Gambas IDE
> has been altered, looking better. This let me think that the Gambas IDE
> is based on Qt/KDE instead of GTK/Gnome, doesn't it?
> So, if this is the fact, I think that Gambas works better on KDE-based
> system. Am I wrong?

Well, Gambas itself is not related to any toolkit: is the gb.qt
component which provides QT support, gb.gtk which provides GTK+
support, etc. The main problem at this moment is that gb.gtk needs a
lot of work, and in fact the IDE can not run at this moment using
gb.gtk, this should be possible in the future. So the short answer is
that, at this moment KDE/QT integration is better than the GTK+/Gnome
one, this could change in the future to have the same support in both
environments.

> I developed a program for the company where I work and got "white paper"
> to administrate the computer. But this is a not so new one (it has at
> least 4 years) so there are some hardware compitibility problems with
> the distro I installed on it (Suse 10.2). I've tried Ubuntu using a live
> CD and it seemed that it was more stable with it. So I decided to try to
> install it but I've had a lot of problems. The first one was just the
> aspect ratio. Then I have a big problem with the printer. My program
> generate selling documents: I save them as PS files so the user can open
> them using kghostview (on Suse) or Evince (on Ubuntu). To print directly
> those documents I use "lpr /path/to/file/name_of_file" with SHELL
> command but on Ubuntu it doesn't work: I don't know why...

I don't know very much about Ubuntu, but I suppose the live distro
does not configure the printer correctly...

Daniel