[Gambas-user] Question about the real scope of Gambas, and other on compatibility

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Dec 1 14:18:14 CET 2007

On samedi 1 décembre 2007, Tomas Eroles i Forner wrote:
> Hi all !!
> One friend on the spanish list of Gambas asked on that list about the
> real scope of this program, that is, if Gambas is really ready to
> develop big applications, as, for example (he asked) an ERP.
>
> I'm also interested on that, because I'm developing an application since
> many time, and it's becoming bigger each day I add something.
>

> By myself I would like to know if is possible (or will be possible
> anytime) to use Gambas for manage OpenOffice documents, that is, if
> could be possible to create Writer, Calc, Draw or Impress documents and
> fill or read them.
>
> Thanks in advance!!

It depends on what 'big' is for you...

The Gambas IDE is the bigger application I made, and it can be considered as
a "big" application.

For my job, I have developed a web application in Gambas to manage any kind of
network and data that can be put on a map.

* You can define classes with fields with support for many datatypes, then
create as much objects of any class, modify or remove them.
* The interface of the forms used for editing objects is configurable.
* You can put any object on a map thanks to Google Maps and Google Earth
support.
* You can search the object data with a "google-like" interface.
* You can define users and groups, with fine-grained authorisation.
* You can upload any file to the application, and attach these files to any
objects.
* You can generate any PDF and OpenOffice document from any object. This is
based on a pre-defined OpenOffice document template.
* You can export the result of a search in OpenOffice or Excel.
* The web application manages a pure-ftpd ftp server so that users can use it
to upload their file, if uploading with http does not work.
* The application has support for plugins (written in Gambas or other
languages). It allows to implement the very specific parts of your
application.
* The application has support for "cron-like" jobs.
* You can use a smart phone PDA with a GPS to take photo and upload them to
the application. An object is automatically created and positioned on Google
Maps.

At the moment, this application is used for managing pipelines, a call center,
some water networks. But I think we will find more uses for it!

It is fast, the executable is 500K with all debugging symbols.

So I don't think that Gambas will prevent you from making an ERP. The
difficulty is more in the programmer than in the language :-)

Benoit Minisini