[Gambas-user] Major Performance impact

Harvey, Lewis (Contractor) Lewis.Harvey at ...1759...
Mon Aug 27 21:54:45 CEST 2007

We have a Gambas/Qt application which we have developed on the SUSE
platform.

We are trying to automate our testing of this application with Squish
and Froglogic test automation product for Linux.

The problem is when we are trying to record the script we get a major
performance impact in delays in the application.  But without Squish the
application runs fine. We've received the following from the Froglogic
guys:

This is from just trying to get it to work initially:

I just got a Gambas example (TreeView) working with the
soon-to-be-released Squish 3.2.2. But I expect it to work with 3.2.1,
too, as the main problem was a special setup consideration:

While Gambas executables are binary files they are technically still
Unix scripts as they start with the magic "#!" sequence. The script will
be executed by the gbx interpreter:

    $ file TreeView
    TreeView: a /usr/bin/gbx -x script text

So while the Gambas program (TreeView in this example) is supposed to be
set as the AUT there'll be another executable (/usr/bin/gbx in my case)
will be started internally. gbx still isn't a Qt application but from
what I understand it dynamically loads some modules that are linked
against the dynamic Qt library.

To let Squish know about this three steps need to be performed:

   1.) Squish needs to be configured to use the same Qt library as used
by
       the Gambas modules. The correct one can be retrieved via e.g.:

         $ ldd /.../gambas/lib/gambas/lib.gb.qt.ext.so | grep libqt
         libqt-mt.so.3 => /home/porten/qt-3.3.3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3

   2.) Check the "Hook into Sub-Processes" option under Test
Suite|Settings
   3.) Add gbx to the list of registered AUTs:

          squishserver --config addAUT gbx /usr/bin

Step 3 can also be performed via the IDE (Test Suite|Settings) by
setting /usr/bin/gbx as an AUT temporarily. Care just has to be taken to
set back the AUT selection to the application again.

I was able to record & replay interactions on all the control elements
of the example. You should be able to do the same. If not, please let us
know.
AND also when discussing the Performance issue:

Didn't see any negative effect with Gambas 1. In general, we've never
 received any report that recording would slow down the app in any
 noticeable way.

I can only assume that either Gambas itself or your application does
 something special with the GUI event loop  (for networking, process
 control or so) that causes a conflict with Squish.

Note we are able to get the example programs to work without a problem
but it's our GUI app that is having the issue.

So if anyone knows of anything that could cause assist please let me
know.

Thank you,

Lewis Harvey
Test Automation Consultant
RIS - Pizza Hut
(972) 338-6715 - Office
(972) 743-9683 - Cell

This communication is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, (i) please do not read or disclose to others, (ii) please notify the sender by reply mail, and (iii) please delete this communication from your system.  Failure to follow this process may be unlawful.  Thank you for your cooperation.