[Gambas-user] Using Gambas Program over network!

Thu Apr 19 15:38:03 CEST 2007

Hi,

I cannot understand exactly what kind of type your network is. Is it a
terminal server network like LTSP? This is the way we use network here.
And I've written some Gambas apps for everyone on the network.

Quite easy: The runtime libraries are public anyway, so you just have to
publish the specific application file(s). As a standard user's directory
is read-only for everyone, you may put a link (icon) on every user's
desktop to that file in your directory where you put the app anyway.
This ensures all users will benefit automagically of updates you make.

> what i need to install in each machine to get my compiled Gambas program
> working?

Oh I see - you've got several machines. Ok, never tried this, but let me
make a guess:

- Install Gambas on each machine.
- Copy the application file (updates) to each machine.

That should do.

> there is something els i have to know?
>
> I have 70 machines in my network, and i need to put the executable in a
> Server, and it have to be accessed by all machines. The server part is
> ok, but, i want to know what i have to do to make my program working.

Alright, I was too fast again :-) Sorry.

If you can place Gambas itself on the server so it can be started from
everywhere (do you use NFS?), it should be easy to do the same with your
own application. Or did I get you wrong here...?

By the way, if you need user-specific configuration data, you should
store them on the clients in the users' directories. You can easily find
out the user's home directory and write a config file into it. But I'm
sure you're aware of this stuff...

Regards

Rolf