[Gambas-user] The new IDE packager - Help needed

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Apr 10 12:42:57 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,

In the current SVN trunk, you will find a new IDE packager that allows you to
make RPM packages from a gambas project.

At the moment, this packager only supports Mandriva and Fedora distributions.

---- Why?

Because at the moment I have a clear documentation for these two distributions
only. In the future, I want to support OpenSuse, Debian, and Slackware.

---- How does it work?

These RPM packages:
1) Install the project executable in /usr/bin.
2) Install an icon in the distribution icon directory. (this is not a
standard).
3) Install the XDG *.desktop menu file, so that you see the application in
your menu.
4) Depends on distribution specific gambas binary packages.

---- What are the problems?

1) is not a problem.

2) depends on the distribution. Fedora needs one icon in /usr/share/pixmaps.
Mandriva has three icon directories. And I don't know for the other
distributions.

** I need information about that for the other distributions **

3) works only if the distribution supports the free-desktop XDG menu system.
This is the case for Mandriva and Fedora, even if these two distributions
don't have the same menu organization.

** I need information about that for the other distributions. Do they support
XDG menu system, or another one? **

4) relies on the distribution packagers. At the moment, if you want to install
a package made by the IDE, you have to force it.

There are other problems:

5) Debian and Slackware are not RPM-based. The Gambas 1.0.x IDE relied
on 'alien' to make a debian package from a RPM, but I am not sure that it is
the good solution.

6) There are many Debian-based distributions, and Debian packages do not
necessarilly work on these distributions! (Somebody said 'Ubuntu' ?)

** I need information about how to make packages on these distributions **

---- How can you help?

By making gambas binary packages for your distribution, if you can of course!
The gambas binary packages specifications are at:

http://gambasdoc.org/help/howto/package

By testing the packager on your distribution. The packagers relies on the
rpmbuild tool at the moment. Which tool is needed on your distribution? How
does that tool work? This is especially important on non-RPM distribution
like Debian or Slackware.

By giving me information about your distribution if it is different from the
standard ones.

Please help me making a really working packager for Gambas 2.0. This is the
last big step before making a release candidate! With a few other little
things of course... :-)

Thanks in advance!

Benoit Minisini