[Gambas-user] Install and upgrade three questions

Ron Onstenk ronstk at ...239...
Fri Sep 1 01:40:50 CEST 2006

On Friday 01 September 2006 00:14, Daniel Campos wrote:
> > I have 1.0.6 installed.
> > A compiled program looks for stuff in /opt/gambas
> >
> > If I install 1.0.17
> > It will overwrite /opt/gambas --> correct ??
> >

> You will overwrite the files, not the folder, I think
>
> > I will have to recompile all programs --> correct ??
> >

> The stable version didn't change the bytecode, so you have not to recompile
>

> > I can revert back if I save a copy of /opt/gambas before installation
> > and copy it back --> correct ??
> >

> A good backup reverts all :-)
>
> Daniel

True,

The way I work is using symlinks.
Before I start I remove the symlink in /opt
I do ./configure --prefix=/opt/gb
After the make and make install I test shortly if it works
Then I rename the /opt/gb map to /opt/gbXX where XX is the version step.
and create a symlink imn opt to the /opt/gbXX.

Now I can change easy between the several last versions by
edit the symlink.

Of course the home written apps are in the /home/ron/gbapp directory.

Ron