[Gambas-user] Changes in LINK

Christopher Brian Jack brian at ...1334...
Sun Oct 29 00:54:00 CEST 2006

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Benoit Minisini wrote:

> You have the LOCK and UNLOCK keyword for locking/unlocking a file opened for
> writing.
>
> Maybe I should rewrite them so that they work on a path and not on a file.
> This will be easier to use: you choose a path file that will work as a lock,
> and you use LOCK and UNLOCK on it.

There are times where locking is desirable for readers as well as writers
such as when access to one part of a file is an index to where other data
should be written.  If a race condition develops between two concurrent
accessors on the file and one changes the index between the time the first
app does it's read then reopens for write+lock there will definately be
file inconsistencies and a whole new insect kingdom of bugs--that the
programmer didn't even know existed--creeping in.

Hopefully locks can be requested when the file is open FOR BOTH?

|  Christopher BRIAN Jack aka "Gau of the Veldt"  |
| oevna at ...1544...
Hi Spambots, my email address is sputnik at ...1334...
Hi Humans, my email address uses rot13 cipher