[Gambas-user] Changes in LINK

Christopher Brian Jack brian at ...1334...
Sun Oct 29 00:43:39 CEST 2006

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Rob wrote:

> > Where the OPEN fails if it can't get a file lock immediately
> > after opening when LOCKED is specified.  The idea being to
> > allow serialized/atomic file access sections (of course CLOSE
> > would then have to be aware of locking and drop the lock after
> > committing buffers but prior to making the close system call).
>
> It will eventually be important to have file locking in Gambas.
> Right now I think the only way to do it is with API calls, if
> it's possible at all....

API calls are really not friendly to the Gambas environment and can have
portability issues.  But, yeah, file locking is important for many
application aspects (such as a server running via inetd using a gambas app
and accessing common files).  Looks like compression, base64 (because most
DBs aren't 8-bit clean) and DB access is the way to go until file locking
becomes available.

|  Christopher BRIAN Jack aka "Gau of the Veldt"  |
| oevna at ...1544...
Hi Spambots, my email address is sputnik at ...1334...
Hi Humans, my email address uses rot13 cipher