[Gambas-user] Changes in LINK

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sat Oct 28 21:59:24 CEST 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 15:41, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> Another alternative could be to take out LINK completely and
> make Link a File method (I can just hear the boos and hisses
> now)?

I really think if it were a File method, it should be static.

I've actually always wondered why LINK, RENAME/MOVE, etc. were
built-in keywords and not part of the File class anyway.... I
assume it was to make VB people more comfortable, but all these
keywords are different than the VB ones.

> Where the OPEN fails if it can't get a file lock immediately
> after opening when LOCKED is specified.  The idea being to
> allow serialized/atomic file access sections (of course CLOSE
> would then have to be aware of locking and drop the lock after
> committing buffers but prior to making the close system call).

It will eventually be important to have file locking in Gambas.
Right now I think the only way to do it is with API calls, if
it's possible at all....

Rob