[Gambas-user] network info

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Thu Oct 26 19:06:56 CEST 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 12:50, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> Good question. I don't think so, because I think sniffing
> packet requires special sockets. Maybe it is possible to
> enhance the gb.net command so that it provides the needed
> options...

I personally would shell out to a program already designed to do
this sort of thing, like ethereal or plain old tcpdump or
something like that, and use Gambas to parse and report on the
output....

This is Unix, not Windows.... there are more ways to reuse code
than just API calls or components.  I think you'll find that
even graphical sniffer programs written in C or C++ run these
tools over a pipe rather than reinventing the wheel.  Ditto with
CD/DVD burning... I'm sure I'm not the only one who's written
specialized burning front ends in Gambas, but no one has asked
if it's possible to write a cdrecord replacement in Gambas
itself.

Rob