[Gambas-user] Inconsistent handling of control names

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Oct 23 23:21:42 CEST 2006

Apart from the handling of underscores in control names (the
compiler allows it, so does VB, but if you try to edit a control
in a form imported from VB with an underscore, it'll force you
to change the name) I discovered a new problem with the IDE as
of 1.9.42.

I converted some Access forms to VB forms a while back, and then
converted those VB forms to Gambas.  I just brought one of those
forms up in the IDE and tried to edit it.  I noticed a few
things:

1. The IDE accepts, and will display, controls with a type
of "Textbox" (as opposed to TextBox.)

2. While you can move, resize and do other things to such
controls, the name of the control will always be displayed in
them, even if you change the Text property.

3. At run time, the control will display the Text property you
have set, not the control name.

So I'm guessing somewhere in the IDE you're doing a
case-insensitive check of the control type, and in other places
you're doing a case-sensitive check.  I'd actually rather have
it error out if it finds a type it doesn't recognize.

And I'd like to be able to have underscores in my control names,
since the compiler allows them anyway, they're valid in all the
other Gambas identifiers, and they're so common in VB apps ;)

Rob