[Gambas-user] Compiling Gamabas2 (1.9.44) in SuSE 10.0

Ron Onstenk ronstk at ...239...
Tue Oct 10 02:48:02 CEST 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 19:43, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Benoit Minisini wrote:
>
> I'm really clueless about the whole configure/automake system.  I tried to
> use it once for one of my own projects and it really didn't simplify the
> process any.  I just endup up pulling out hair and going to handcrafted
> build scripts.
>
> Configure.ac (and all its macros) read to me like Greek (and no, I don't
> know Greek).

I feel with you. It looks almost stupid those *.am/*.ac
It is however you need to understand what the macros should do.
In most cases it should simplify lot of bash script lines into functions.
For the 'autoxxxx' there are some more special substitutes and methods
special for this kind of bash scripts.

After my understanding how the config.ac, made by Benoit, works I
must tell he did a clever job also in that range of programming.
It would be nice to get a full correct description of this part
for people to add the relevant part for there component.

> Is XCursor a separate package?  SDL requires it but having all the SDL
> devs installed does not make this file present anywhere on my system.
> When I need to look for a file I use:
>
> find / -name "<file-being-looked-for>" 2>/dev/null
> (the redirect of stderr is becuase find / looks in things like devnodes
> and /var which includes a lot of things that find won't be able to stat)
>
> Hence:
> cowboy at ...56...:~> find / -name XCursor.h 2>/dev/null
> cowboy at ...56...:~>
>
> Indicates the abosulte abscence of this file anywhere on my system.

Hi.
I do use "locate"

ron at ...1311...:~> locate Xcursor
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXcursor.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXcursor.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXcursor.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXcursor.so.1.0.2
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/html/Xcursor.3.html
/usr/X11R6/man/man3/Xcursor.3x.gz

I had to install the 'find' package to get 'locate' on SuSE 8.2 and 9.2.

Ron