[Gambas-user] Executable still will not execute

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu Nov 30 20:50:44 CET 2006

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 18:01, Eldon Eller wrote:
> Thanks, Benoit. I have attached the archive. Perhaps a word of
> explanation would help: The program is essentially a card file, or
> rather a bunch of card files. Each file *.dex is a card file written in
> plain text with a sentry ("*" & chr$(13) & chr$(10)) to separate cards.
> I have set up a dual boot system with a fat partition (/windows/F) that
> windows and linux can use to share data. I have a VB version of the same
> program in windows. Two or three years ago I wrote a linux version that
> worked as expected. As a result of a disk failure and bad habits, I lost
> that version and recently re-wrote it. This is the one that I cannot get
> to execute.
>
> Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 November 2006 01:02, Eldon Eller wrote:
> >> At the risk of repeating myself, I have a little project named QD that
> >> runs properly from within the IDE. I have made an executable, and when I
> >> try to run it I get this message:
> >>
> >> This application has raised an unexpected error and must abort.
> >> [2] Cannot load class 'QD': Unable to load class file.
> >> ?.?.0
> >>
> >> The project files are attached. They are stored in ~/QDfolder/QD. The
> >> file QD was generated by make executable. Not included here is a file
> >> ~/QDfolder/QD/.gambas/QD. I can send it if it will help. My version of
> >> Gambas is 1.0.17. I get the error message when I try to run
> >> ~/QDfolder/QD/QD. If I open Gambas , choose QD from recent projects, and
> >> click on the green run triangle, the program executes correctly. If you
> >> need more info, please let me know.
> >>
> >> The files are somewhat different than those included with my earlier
> >> plea. In trying to get things to work, I ended up destroying the
> >> QD.class file and had to re-write the whole thing.
> >>
> >> No doubt I am making some dumb error, but I am at my wit's end and
> >> eagerly await any suggestions. EEE
> >
> > Can you send an archive of your project (Menu Project/Make source archive
> > in the IDE) ?
> >
> > Regards,

I found: it is a completely stupid bug in the archiver, that don't put in the
executable a class file if its name is the same as the project name.

As a workaround, just rename your class or your project so that they don't
have the same name.

Benoit Minisini