AW: [Gambas-user] UDP Broadcast

Michi mwuest at ...1436...
Wed May 17 09:42:43 CEST 2006

Hi Rob,

can you please send me more information regarding
wird API calls... I think I´d prefer that method
instead of recompiling gb.net

Or can I set SO_BROADCAST in any other way?

I really need 255.255.255.255 to be usable. Just
using a part of the network by masking some subnets
out does not work for me.

Thanks,
bye,
Michael.

On Wed May 17 2006 00:54, Michi wrote:
> The seond issue is about UDP broadcast and different...
> That one still does not work...

A bit of googling tells me that C programs need to set the
SO_BROADCAST socket option (with setsockopt) before trying to
send a broadcast packet, and SO_BROADCAST doesn't appear
anywhere within the gb.net source code.  The symptom when the
flag is missing would be an access denied error.

So I'm guessing gb.net just doesn't support sending broadcasts at
present, but shouldn't be too hard to patch (the least elegant
way would be to check if the last octet of the IP address is 255
and set SO_BROADCAST accordingly, which would make it work for
any netmask of 24 bits or smaller, if you didn't want to add a
new "Broadcast" property for the user to set.)

In the meantime, you should be able to do broadcasts using some
rather tortured API calls in the development releases.

Rob