[Gambas-user] Wiki: DO doesn't answer

Eilert eilert-sprachen at ...221...
Thu Mar 30 17:47:42 CEST 2006

Benoit Minisini schrieb:
> On Wednesday 29 March 2006 12:39, Eilert wrote:
>> I wanted to translate "DO" into German, but the page doesn't come,
>> neither in English nor in German.
>>
>> Anything wrong with that page?
>>
>> Rolf
>>

> I fixed it. The problem comes from a '<=' in the example that should be
> quoted, otherwise the wiki interprets the '<' as a markup that is not
> closed... A sort of bug :-)
>
> Regards,

Ok, thank you. I translated DO.

Then I found WHILE has a loading error, too.

And now there is a question of mine:

In the BASIC manuals I've got here (PowerBasic or VB for example), the
syntax of block commands like loops or IF etc. is written somewhat more
in detail.

VB does it this way:

DO [{While|Until}condition]
	[statementblock]
	[Exit Do]
	[statementblock]
Loop

Do
	[statementblock]
	[Exit Do]
	[statementblock]
Loop [{While|Until}condition]

Then they add a "Remarks" table listing the parts of the structure:

Part		Description

Do		Must be the first... etc.
While		does this...
Until		does that...
bla...

PB does it this way (better in my eyes):

Function

DO/LOOP defines a group of commands repeated until a certain condition
is true

Syntax

DO [{WHILE|UNTIL}expression]
	.
	.
	.
	commands
	[EXIT LOOP]
	[ITERATE LOOP]
	.
	.
	.
{LOOP|WEND}|{{WHILE|UNTIL}expression}

Explanation
now there is a bit lengthy explanation with a lot of examples trying to
show every and each possible way of using it.

Anyway, what would you say if in the Wiki we would try to make the
explanation for the loops and IF and SELECT things a bit more like that.
What I mean is, not only 1 line of syntax but several lines including
the end of the structure and the optional BREAK or CONTINUE? Maybe more
examples etc.

Bonsoir
Rolf