[Gambas-user] Re: Window positions

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Mar 21 23:35:54 CET 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 22:09, GuruLounge - MailLists wrote:
> Well, it's just an idea I was poking around with.
>
> I ran my app in X without a window manager and after realizing I could
> do this I then threw in a desktop form just for the fun of it.  And I
> was thinking it would be nice to manage the windows somehow - X without
> a WM is a bit unusable.
>
> But if it's too complicated for the current major release (1.0.14) then
> I'll forget it and just run my app on top of iceWM or fluxbox.  It seems
> to work okay with those.
>
> Jeff

It depends on what you want to do exactly.

Managing windows positions and sizes is the role of the window manager on X11.
The X11 window manager is a X11 application that must follow some protocol
standard. The more modern window manager protocol is the freedesktop one:

  http://www.freedesktop.org/Standards/wm-spec

So you can't manage X11 windows properly with Gambas now. A solution could be
taking the KWin, NetRootInfo, NetWinInfo... C++ classes from the KDE
libraries ad make a component with it. These classes have everything needed
for implementing a freedesktop compliant X11 window manager.

Benoit Minisini