[Gambas-user] Add field

Benoit Minisini benoit.minisini at ...2...
Sat Mar 4 15:10:34 CET 2006

On Saturday 04 March 2006 13:50, R. Stormo wrote:
> I want to add one more field to a table , on the fly, without using
> database manager. How is this done?
> My thinking was.
> dim r as result
> dim htable as table
>
> try r = $conn.exec("select checkfield from mytable")
> if error.code <>0 then
>     htable= $conn.tables["mytable"]
>     htable.fields.add("checkfield",gb.integer)
>     htable.update()
> end if
>
> This is not working as it should , I get error "Table already exist"

The gambas database component does not know how to add a field to an already
existing table.

You must do the same work as the database manager do: create a table with the
new field added, copy the data from the old table to the new one, destroy the
old table, and rename the new one.

Benoit Minisini