[Gambas-user] New Find dialog...

Ron Onstenk ronstk at ...239...
Fri Jul 28 19:07:19 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 13:27, Mike Keehan wrote:
> sbungay wrote:
> >    I just did a ctrl+f and got this tool bar thing at the top of the
> > editor. This is a replacement for a search & replace dialogue? IMHO is
> > is not an improvement. Change it back... pleeeeeease!
> >

> Well I disagree, sbungay.
>
> I think it works really well - takes up very little space, has simple
> Find and Replace buttons, and the Show List feature is brilliant.

And that 'Show List feature' is missing now.
I implemented it the way sbungay so liked from UltraEdit where it
was my favourite tool too.

In the List you can see, special if Find is done on partial word, if the
line counts for doing thing or not.
It is not a word finder but bunch of characters finder.
I wish I was able then to use the regexpr also.

I did use it after quick and dirty edit a bunch of code to find more correct
names for sub/function/variable and if a replace should not give conflicting/bad
new names after the replace.
(independed if this is the correct way of programming or not)

Suppose I want to know where I did use the names 'thename', 'thenose' and 'thenick'
and want to replace to 'thisname', 'thisnode' and 'thisnick'
Visual in the list I see I have it 3 times, one of the words, with search
for 'then'. Click in the list on the 3 lines and edit.

The solution Benoit made is a nice place to inform where it is used but
not how and the relation in what.
The old Listview way is more informative for do something yes or no
and that was the reason to implement it for me.

I agree with sbungay and wish the Search/Find and Replace back in a separate
form and not always on top as the last versions with SDI, because it then always
is just over the code where the searched word is.

> The only thing I miss is the highlighting of all matches in the code,
> but I can certainly live without that.

And that is just the information in the listview, nice and compact
and when search in project nice grouped in sections.
Do you want then all files are opened and scroll in every openfile to find the
word you searched for?
This is if you look in the source code of the IDE to find hints of code...
Well, the best is try it and you understand the searchlist is the way to go.

> It will take some time to try it out properly in a project, but my
> first impression is that it is a very good replacement.
For the look, yes but in practice ?

> Mike

For small projects, low class/form count, the marking in the project tree
is not absolute bad, if the hits are a few.
For me it is the information that is lost this way.

gambas2.1.9.35,

Ron