[Gambas-user] VB6 to Gambas Global arrays

R A Turney raturney at ...159...
Tue Jul 18 04:41:53 CEST 2006

Thanks for the very informative replies to my questions.

Rob Kudla wrote:
> On Mon July 17 2006 13:13, R A Turney wrote:
>> an Intel Xeon 1.8 Ghz.  On my "converted to Gambas" version
>> running on my home computer, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, and SuSE
>> 9.3, it takes roughly ten seconds.  That's why I assumed it
>> was interpreted code.  I am hoping that after my direct
>
> Don't be misled.... while Gambas may have a compiler, it's still
> an interpreted language.  The Gambas compiler creates its own
> flavor of pseudo-code, not actual machine code, and the archiver
> just takes those p-code object files and jams them together into
> an "executable" that really runs as a script (head -1
> myproject.gambas should give you "#!/usr/bin/gbx2" or something
> like that, instead of a bunch of binary ELF gibberish as you'd
> find in a Linux machine code program.)
>
> For most of what Gambas is meant to do, this is fine, but yeah,
> it might be at a disadvantage against VB for straight-up math.
> (I have VB running under VMware on one of my workstations; maybe
> I'll set up a Linux VMware session to benchmark them fairly.)

I'll do the same with some other calculations, and run them on the same
hardware.  The VB6 application that I was talking about should be
considered extremely calculation-bound because of the iterative process.
  When I first wrote it several years ago, I monitored the iterations
and found it required an average of 20 to 50 iterations to converge per
data point.  THere are 200 data points.  I think that this code can be
improved to reduce the number of iterations required to converge.  I
never bothered with it in VB6 since it took less than a second to solve.

-Bob