[Gambas-user] gambas for embedded system

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Jan 30 19:23:27 CET 2006

On Mon January 30 2006 11:33, Matthias Laur wrote:
> I only want the interpreter with the sqlite and the net
> bindings. So I should disable everything without -net and
> -sqlite?

That's what I did, yeah.  When it's done building, don't forget
that in addition to gb.db.sqlite3.so.* and gb.net.so.* you need
gb.so.* and gb.db.so.*.

> What do you think: is gambas faster then python/php/perl? So
> it should be better to use gambas for an embedded system.
> Another advantage is that the runtime of gambas is very small.
> Python-Interpreter for example is much bigger.

The answer is really "it depends", but they are comparable.  I've
never tried any benchmarks, but maybe I should.

For certain things (like opening a process for both read and
write) it's certainly easier to code in Gambas than in Perl.
(For others, especially the closer you get to a standard
"filter" type of application, Perl's a lot easier.) I'm not that
familiar with Python so I don't know what the case is there.

And yeah, all the files I mentioned above plus the interpreter
are less than the size of either libpython2.4.so or libperl.so
by itself.

Rob