[Gambas-user] MySQL version

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Thu Jan 26 01:16:05 CET 2006

On Wed January 25 2006 12:58, Marcelo Confortino wrote:
> "Cannot open database: Client does not support authentication
> protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"
> Is there a way to change the client that Gambas uses, without
> recompiling the whole thing? I don't have all the headers
> required for a source installation.

Like any other MySQL client program, Gambas (or rather, the
gb.db.mysql component) is linked against a particular version of
libmysqlclient.so.

There is no way to change which version of a library a program is
linked against without recompiling, or at least relinking, which
still requires a source tree if I'm not mistaken.  If whoever
built Gambas for you (the Debian maintainers, sounds like) was
using MySQL 4.1, then you need to either convince them to
rebuild it for MySQL 5.0 or install all the headers and stuff
you need to rebuild Gambas yourself.  Or drop back down to MySQL
4.1 if those are really impossible for you to do.

You may be able to use gb.db.odbc to avoid this sort of problem
in the future, but I couldn't tell you how.  I expect other
people will have this problem too, so maybe it's time to figure
out a way to build a gb.db.mysql and gb.db.mysql5 as we did with
gb.db.sqlite2 and gb.db.sqlite3.

Rob