[Gambas-user] casting or changing datatype.

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Jan 14 08:23:28 CET 2006

On Saturday 14 January 2006 03:10, johnf wrote:
> Hi,
> I wonder if it is possible to pass a string to a method and have the string
> used to for the name of a different datatype.
>
> dim passStr As String
>
> passStr = "custData"
> myresult(passStr)
>
> public sub myResult( thestr as String) as Result
>
> dim thestr as Result
>
> return Result
> end
>
> John

This is a nonsense, as the name of the variables disappear once the program is
compiled.

I think you mix the syntax (what ou write) and the semantic (what is
executed).

If you compile this code:

public sub myResult(...) as Result
  dim XXXXX as Result
  return Result
end

Whatever you use as name for 'XXXXX', you will get the same code.

Benoit Minisini