[Gambas-user] Anybody have an example using DCOP?

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Tue Jan 10 20:23:23 CET 2006

On Tue January 10 2006 13:18, johnf wrote:
> Your suggestion on the editing of the saved XML (btw it is a
> jar with different sub-levels) can be done and is what I was

There's a subdirectory in the zip file (all jar files are zip
files), but as of yet, I have never had to edit any of the files
in that subdirectory (which is just where they put the manifest
of files contained within the zip file, in XML format.)  If I
wanted to add a graphic, I would have to edit manifest.xml in
the subdirectory.

> going to attempt.  But how do I control OpenOffice so that the
> printing of the invoice is transparent to the user.  I want
> the user to click and have the document print.  I do this sort

I have done this before using soffice's command line options.  I
think it's something like

soffice -invisible -p document.odt

Do "soffice -help" to get more info, including the syntax for
specifying a printer.

> Maybe I could use a word processor to create the
> postscript document and then edit that??????

I've done this too.  Postscript files are programs with a syntax
that's like a cross between LISP (tons of parentheses) and FORTH
(reverse polish notation, i.e. "a b +").  You probably want to
avoid trying this if possible, because it's very easy to make
postscript files that cause acroread and ghostscript barf.

> I saw that someone had started on a report writer but I did
> not see that anything was really done.

If you were going so far as considering the use of raw
postscript, I really think you'll be pleased with the results of
using the Draw class to write to a printer object; I have
implemented a number of reports this way already.  You need to
track your X and Y position and write methods to automatically
advance the "cursor" and add new pages, etc., but the stuff I
have done for my clients has been very sharp-looking.

And if you're just doing reports, it seems possible to me that
you'd be able to generate reports in Kugar's format (also xml,
but I think it uses flat files rather than jars) and then print
them just as you would with Openoffice, except that it would be
faster.  But I really think you ought to look into the "draw to
printer object" approach.

Rob