[Gambas-user] casting, macro change from str to resultfield?

johnf jfabiani at ...1109...
Tue Jan 3 10:29:16 CET 2006

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 01:10, ron wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 08:34, johnf wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks that should work.
> > >
> > > But I also realized that Gambas is a compiled lang - therefore there is
> > > nothing like macro substitution....
> > >
> > > Thanks again
> > > John
> >
> > Dam I thought you had the answer.  But hfield does not have "Value".
> >
> > But I wonder if something else does?  I'll continue to check.
> > BTW I'm using 1.9.23
> > Thanks
> > John
>
> Did a look in the help
> gb.db.result:
>

> DIM hResult AS Result
> DIM aVariant AS Variant
>
> aVariant = hResult [ Field AS String ]
>

> Returns the value of a field in the current record of the Result object.
>
> should be then:
>
> FOR EACH hfield IN contactdata.Fields
>   INC i
>   loopfield = contactdata[hfield.Name]
>   contacts[c, i].Text = loopfield
> NEXT
>
> contactdata = result
> contacts = gridview
>
> I hoop this wil do the job.
>
> Ron

This works thank you very much.  It's 1:am here and I'm very tired so I'm
going to bed.  But I want to understand your process of determining the
correct way to get to the field.  I need to be able to do the same thing.
But when I read the help file I did not understand the notation.  But you
did!  So if you can take some more time could you explain it.  If this like
trying to explain OOP then don't of course.  But maybe there is some link or
text in the help file that will explain the notation?

Again thanks

PS I think have a little understanding as I re-read the message.  Is aVariant
one of my controls (or any data type?).

John