[Gambas-user] gambas and email

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Feb 22 23:03:27 CET 2006

On Wed February 22 2006 16:55, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> It should suffice to use:
> nslookup -type=mx kilroy.domain
> to determine the user's email host then it's a matter of using
> SMTP to talk to the server and send the mail.

This is risky nowadays, since many spam filters reject mail
coming from dialup or cable modem IP blocks.  If your users are
all in one known IP block (such as for a corporate LAN/WAN) it
may be safe.

> Alternatively if your ISP provides its own SMTP superhost you
> can use your ISP's SMTP server for outgoing mail and no
> nslookup is needed (except maybe to look up your ISP's
> outgoing SMTP server) because the outgoing server will do the
> necessary MX lookup.

While in the old days it was always safe to send mail through the
host named "mail" on your local network, ISP's aren't quite as
consistent anymore (e.g. my outgoing mail host is currently
"smtp3", whereas "mail" is POP3 only) and you'll probably have
to prompt the user for an SMTP server address.

Rob