[Gambas-user] Database Access

Llew Ashdown lucris at ...1366...
Mon Feb 20 10:14:19 CET 2006

johnf wrote:

>On Sunday 19 February 2006 22:11, Llew Ashdown wrote:
>

>>Hi everyone,
>>Can anyone point me in the right direction please, ( I don't have a clue).
>>I am a long standing Delphi programmer - and have written lots of quite
>>sizable applications, but I actually quite dislike the operating system
>>upon which it runs.
>>I would love to be able to do as much on Xandros , but I think that is a
>>/long way off./
>>
>>Gambas looks like it is headed in the right direction, but I am having
>>hells own trouble getting my head around database connection of any
>>kind- mysql or whatever.
>>( I had more than a little trouble getting Gambas 1.9.24 to work on
>>Xandros- but it is up and running)
>>Thinking that it might help I installed XAMPP php,perl,mysql, etc --
>>But I am - still in the dark - any connections I try just fail-- sorry
>>to be so thick.
>>

>Show us your code.  Maybe we can then help.  Also take a look at the database
>example.
>John
>
>That's one of the problems, the (Database) example won't even work.

The problem is much lower down than you are thinking-- I don't have any
code.
IE in delphi (or dbisam) a *database* is just any directory.
a table is any dbisam table within that directory.(so simple)no user no
password.
I simply create that table or those tables within that directory and
point the components to it -- done.

Just what is supposed to go in these boxes ?
Image of Data setup

Type (I can Sellect) Ok----
What is Host? (  I have Tried http://localhost) to no effect
What is Database? (Is this simply a directory, and if so which one will
work for mysql -- an so on)
I am not even sure if I need to specify myself as user or some linux
default.
And can I use any password.( I imagine so )
very sorry ----
I did say I know *nothing* -- I cannot get the first toe in the water.

I am not having any trouble with most other things about Gambas, in fact
it all appears to work great.

Thanks again.