[Gambas-user] Some suggestion + feature missing

jum j0e at ...103...
Thu Dec 14 17:27:10 CET 2006

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 04:11:35 -0500
> From: Rob <sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...>
> Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] Some suggestion
> To: gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net
>
> On Saturday 02 December 2006 18:24, Christopher Brian Jack wrote:
> > stack pulls, by convention, return the top element of the
> > stack before moving the stack pointer (postincrementing the
> > stack pointer) and pushes, by convention, move the stack
> > pointer before storing the data (predecrementing stack
> > pointer).  Virtually every CPU (and compsci textbook) out
> > there uses these same semantics for stack operations.
>
> The terminology in my CS textbooks all those years ago was "push
> and pop", not "push and pull".  Gambas already has Push() and
> Pop().... jum was just looking for a method of the Array object
> that acted like Push and Pop, but would operate on any element
> of an array, not just the top (last) element.
>
> I personally would like to see equivalents to Shift and Unshift
> (perl functions that behave like Pop and Push but on the bottom
> (first) element of a list rather than the top element,) but the
> Add method combined with a Remove method that returned the value
> it removed would be good enough for me.
>
> Rob

 I am not only wants a solution but I need it simple (short) too,
so I prefer pop(i) rather than remove(i). May be Benoit knows me better about
it. So I always use:
- x,y,w,h rather than top,left,wide,height
- object.max than object.count - 1 (actually I ask Benoit to add it)
- IF without THEN if more than one line (I also beg Benoit to make THEN
optional, which make him called me lazy guy:-)
- if() rather than iif()
- and other feature like that (I hope it much in the future)

So because my preference is like that, I want to ask about 1.9.46a version:

- why iif() should have 3 mandatory parameters, I would like the old one.
  So we can use:
       PRINT "blablabla" & if(again, "blablabla") & if(more, "blablabla")
  rather than:
    PRINT "blablabla" & if(again, "blablabla", "") & if(more, "blablabla", "")
  actually I have a lot of code like this.

- why max() and min() only use 2 argument so insted of using:
    PRINT max(a,b,c,d,e)
   we should use:
    PRINT max(max(max(max(a,b),c),d),e) ' confusing, eh
   or may be:
    PRINT max(max(max(a,b),max(b,c)),e) ' still confuse?
  actually right now I am not have code like thit, but I think it can happen
to someone else.

So without it it like some gambas feature missing, so I hope it only temporary
because of some quick-fix of a bug make it like that.

Regards,

L. Jumadi