[Gambas-user] Software installation under Linux

Eilert eilert-sprachen at ...221...
Wed Dec 6 08:35:51 CET 2006

> Far from being a problem with Linux, I think the way it handles
> software installation is one of its strengths, and possibly the
> biggest reason there have been no major malware outbreaks so
> far.  It's also the reason no one has ever had to write
> a "system cleaner" program for Linux... every package includes a
> list of files it creates, and that same list can be used to
> uninstall cleanly, every time.

100 % agree Rob :-)

Your idea of using the packing managers rather than an independent
binary makes sense to me. I've no idea what is needed to do so, but I
was kinda surprised by Bob's reaction. Don't know what he was looking for.

Do you know how those projects like OOo handle this task? And Firefox
for instance, you just throw the app into some directory, and it runs.
Strange to me.

Rolf