[Gambas-user] old Gambas2 help browser bug

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Aug 29 19:43:18 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 18:49, Stefano Palmeri wrote:
> Hi, all. Hi, Benoit.
>
> This message is for Gambas2 users that miss some
> pages in the help browser.
>
> In Gambas2 the help internal browser is broken, at least on my system.
> It can't open most of the links.
>
> I noticed that browsing the help files with Firefox or Mozilla works
> perfectly.
> So I thoughts: the pages are good... there should
> be something wrong in the Gambas browser.
>
> I tried to browse the pages with konqueror and Bingo!
> konqueror enters in a endless loop if you try to open
> lang?en or comp?en or whatelse. It seems that the question
> mark gets konq confused, if there's a directory with the same
> base name of the file named with the "?".
>
> In fact Gambas2 browser opens with no problems index.html?en, that has
> not its  own twin directory
>
> Well, I thought let's try to change the "?" with a neutral  "_".
> Done! The help now works fine!!!
>
> So, for newbies like me that need often to read the
> help pages, I made a Gambas script. It's attached.
> Compile it and run it as root. You will have a fully
> functional offline help.
>
> The code is really simple and you can check that
> is not dangerous.
>
> It needs 'sed' to be installed. Who doesn't have sed
> in the PATH ? :-)
>
> This is a temporary solution waiting for our supreme chief
> to solve definitively the problem :-)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Stefano Palmeri

I will remove the IDE internal help browser in the next version, and replace
it by a call to a standard web browser.

It seems to work correctly there.

There are still broken links, as not everything is documented at the moment.

Benoit Minisini