[Gambas-user] Process/Shell Bug

Timothy Marshal-Nichols timothy.marshal-nichols at ...247...
Mon Aug 28 09:42:28 CEST 2006

Hello Benoit,

Just thought I should add this to your TO-DO list. I have been meaning to
might be looking at the SHELL and EXEC functions. So now might be a good
time to look at this bug.

To see the bug open the Gambas Console in the example projects and run it.
(The bug in not in the example project. I found the bug in my own projects.)
Type this command in the Gambas Console TextBox:

	ls -l $HOME | cat -n

In this command we use 'cat -n' just to number the lines. (This will make it
easier to see the bug later.) You should see nothing wrong. Now try a
command that returns a lot more data. For example:

	ls -l /proc | cat -n
	lsof | cat -n
	ps aux | cat -n
	find $HOME -type d | cat -n

After about 30 to 70 lines some lines have been split across two lines. This
depends on the length of a lines returned. The problem appears to be LINE
INPUT #LAST splitting a line in two where it should have returned one.

Oddly sometimes after about 500 (approx) lines the split lines do not occur
anymore. The bug is when a lot of lines are returned. When only a small
amount of data is returned there is not problem.

The 'cat -n' in the above commands is just to make it easier to see the bug.

I have just been looking at Gambas version 1.9.40 (on SUSE 10.1) and 1.0.16
(on Fedora 4). Sorry but this bug is in the stable version as well.

Thanks

8-{)} Timothy Marshal-Nichols
<mailto: timothy.marshal-nichols at ...247...>