[Gambas-user] About the QT licence

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Aug 9 23:00:58 CEST 2006

On Wed August 9 2006 06:41, Laurent Carlier wrote:
> > "Both the GPL and our commercial license allow the running
> > of commercial software against a GPL'ed Qt library - just
> > the development and distribution is affected.
> The problem isn't running commercial software, but running
> non-free/closed sources) software. GPL doesn't forbid
> commercial software with GPL part but non-free/closed sources
> software.

I'm pretty sure the Trolltech person was using "commercial" in
the sense of "proprietary".

Anyway, this all makes sense to me now.  The "Freedom #0" behind
the GPL is that you can run the software any which way you
like.... it's only in distribution that the GPL's requirements
come into play.  Which is what they said.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that someone developing a
Gambas app using the GPL version of Qt is obligated to release
that app under the GPL.... to use the commercial version of Qt
for a product, according to Trolltech's FAQ, you must develop
that product from scratch using the commercial version.

Rob