[Gambas-user] New project directory format

Jose J. Rodriguez joe1962 at ...626...
Wed Aug 9 17:25:59 CEST 2006

On 8/9/06, Benoit Minisini <benoit.minisini at ...2...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The project directory format has evolved until the point that the archiver has
> became full of arbitrary rules when deciding which file/directory goes in the
> archive, and which does not. And finally we got the "create project" dialog
> bug recently.
>
> I think some cleanup should be done, but then old projects will need to be
> translated to the new format.
>
> Here is what I propose. Tell me what you think, if you have better ideas, and
> so on...

We were discussing some ideas on another thread, I'll repeat some
things here for clarity.

> 1) All directories and files in the root of the project directory beginning
> with a dot or an underscore are reserved. All other directories and files are
> part of the project data.

I still think a dedicated "data" or "userdata" directory is cleaner.
And it should ideally allow for a hierarchy inside it, like
"databases", "graphics", etc, but the details should probably be left
to the user, just support any subdirectories in there.

> 2) All source files now go inside a directory named "_sources".
>
> 3) All compiled files go inside a directory named ".gambas".
>
> 4) All translation files go inside a directory named ".lang".
>
> 5) All icon files generated by the package maker go inside a directory named
> ".icon".
>
> 6) The project configuration file is now named "_project" and not ".project"
> anymore.
>
> 7) The "_project" file will have the same syntax as files created by the
> Settings class.

Please change to "# Gambas Project File 2.0" and add a warning popup
when an attempt is made to open a 1.0 version project. Would help to
avoid loosing the GUI design in
such a case!

> 8) A ".startup" file will be created from the "_project" file. It will include
> all information needed by the interpreter to run the project is a compact
> form.
>
> 9) A ".info" and ".list" files are created by the compiler that includes
> information about exported class.
>
> 10) When making an executable, all files and directories are included, except:
> _sources, .lang/*.po, .lang/*.pot, all CVS directories, all other files and
> directories beginning with a dot except ".gambas", ".startup", ".info" and
> ".list".

If you do use a dedicated "userdata" directory, you can probably loose
the underscores before directory names, but that's really a matter of
taste.

Just my 2 cents ;).

Regards,
Joe1962