[Gambas-user] About the QT licence

Daniel Campos dcamposf at ...626...
Wed Aug 9 12:23:12 CEST 2006

Hi:

I asked to Trolltech about the famous "Gambas QT non-free programs"
question. Basically, if planning to use Gambas-qt for any non-free
application and want to distribute it, you have to pay a QT licence
for programmer, and then, about distribution, this is the answer:

"Both the GPL and our commercial license allow the running of
commercial software against a GPL'ed Qt library - just the development
and distribution is affected.

They don't have to distribute any Qt library - if the open source Qt
version that might be installed on the target computer is the correct
version and configuration, then that's good enough. The GPL does not
say anything about running software, only about distributing software.
However, if no Qt version is installed on the target machine, then
they must redistribute the commerical Qt libraries; otherwise the GPL
comes into effect and 'infects' the whole distribution."

I hope it is clear now :-)

Daniel