[Gambas-user] gambas-devel at lists.sourceforge.net

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Sep 25 16:46:48 CEST 2005

On Thursday 22 September 2005 14:18, Daniel Campos wrote:
> Hi:
>
> It took a time, but here's a new update of the gb.gtk component, still
> alpha and weak but useable :-)
>
> http://gambas.gnulinex.org/gtk/
>
> Main Changes (Benoit, take a look, please):

I will, I will... :-)

> * NEW:   "Separator" widget added. A simple widget which shows an
> horizontal or vertical separator line (it depends on the Width and
> Height of the control). this is very useful, to separate buttons in a
> toolbar, for example. It shows the line according with the use theme.
> Note that this implementation can do no more: no way to change border
> style, and things like this.

Why not? But I hate separators. It is the only big thing I hate in KDE is all
these separators lines everywhere... I prefer the Gnome way of not using
them.

> * NEW:   "Label" and "TextLabel" controls have a "Transparent" property
> now. it is very useful for interfaces using windows with a mask. to
> implement it, I just draw the text twice: the first one in the control
> and the second one in a mask, that I combine with the widget. I suppose
> QT can do the same...

I think so. But they advice not doing that in the QT documentation. It is not
a good idea at the moment, as masks don't have antialiasing in X11 at the
moment. So your transparent label will be drawn without antialiasing.

> * NEW:   "Button" and "ToggleButton" have a new boolean property
> "Vertical". If set, the picture is shown in the Top side instead of the
> Left side of the button. I'm not sure about the name of that property,
> however using "Arrangement" with two constants: LeftRigth and TopLeft
> for that seems to be more complicated... What does Benoit think about
> that? :-)

This is a QT limitation: button picture is always aligned to the left, even if
the language is rtl written!. I don't know if it is different in QT4, but I
can't implement that at the moment.

> * NEW:   "TextLabel" and "Message" are able handle some HTML tags:
> are able to ignore unrecognized tags and to parse not XML formatted
> strings.

You don't have to handle all the tags QT uses. Just the presentation ones are
useful. It seems that you did that...

> * NEW:   "Lang","Timer", and "Error" hooks implemented.
>
> * NEW:   "Label.Autoresize" property implemented.
>
> * FIXED: "ScrollBar" is aligned at top or left of the control when
> there's extra space, as gb.qt does.
>
> * FIXED: Some "Container" arrangement problems.
>
> * FIXED: "HSplit" and "VSplit" arrangement fixed.
>
> * FIXED: "TextLabel" horizontal alignment was wrong.
>
> * FIXED: "Stock" icons take the current theme in account.
>
> * FIXED: "ToolButton" click event is working now.
>
> * FIXED: "Label" and "TextLabel" controls redesigned.
>
> * FIXED: Segmentation fault in the "Stock" class.
>
> * FIXED: "Window" size is working in transitions from border resizable
> to fixed.
>
> * FIXED: "Picture" cache redesigned.
>
> * FIXED: "ComboBox" background and foreground colors fixed.
>

> Regards,
>
> D. Campos

Here are the few things I modified since 1.9.19:

* I added a "ToolBox" boolean property to the Window class. When this property
is true, the NET WM window type property is set to "utility", and the KDE
window manager displays a small window title box instead of a normal one. And
the tool window is iconified with the main window. This is managed by the QT
library. If you don't that this feature in GTK+, I added a function in the
x11.c file to do that by setting directly the window manager property.

* I added a "EndOfLine" property in the stream class, so that we can choose if
a stream uses a Unix end of line ('\n'), a Macintosh one ('\t') or a Windows
one ('\r\n'). This end of line feature is used by PRINT, and LINE INPUT.

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...