[Gambas-user] Is it GAMBAS for me? (an ex-VB programmer)

Eduardo Patto Kanegae e.patto.kanegae at ...626...
Sat Sep 3 22:08:48 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I just discovered GAMBAS project and found it absolutely incridible!

But I'd like to clarify my vision about it before trying it up.

I used to code using Visual Basic 6 but a few years ago I just gave it up
because a lot of troubles(lot of VB bugs, VB does not have enough
functionality...so,
u need tu buy ActiveX, and the main thing: I really prefer free/open
software)
and then, since 2000 I left desktop programming and went to web programming
with PHP.

When I stopped to VB, the main reason was about GIS(geographic information
system) components...
VB GIS third party components in that time exists but too expensive.

Today, there's a lot of free GIS API's(suchs as
PROJ.4,ShapeLib,GDAL,OGR,etc...)
and it's easy
to use these ones on C, C++ projects..But there's also a lot of Python or
Java projects running fine with these tools.

Will I be able to use one(or more) of these C/C++ libs within a GAMBAS
projects? Or do I need to wrap the lib as a GAMBAS component?

And about drawing(not processing) maps on GAMBAS? Should I create a "canvas"
component base on a picturebox?
or maybe build a GAMBAS component base on a rendering engine?(such as
"Cairo" )

best regards.

--
Eduardo Patto Kanegae