[Gambas-user] RE: A Beginner's Guide to Gambas (2)

John Rittinghouse jr at ...1090...
Fri Oct 14 19:06:38 CEST 2005

Thanks Charlie.  Obviously, sStringLength on page 125 should be
iStringLength but sDateTime is a string var used to catch the return
value from the VAL call, as indicated in the code on page 143.

The font size on those two places you mentioned was reduced to make the
code fit on a single line - it was a deliberate change and you may find
that it occurs in a couple of other places as well.  Regarding the
sample code errors in your previous mail, you are correct that it is not
bulletproof. I will leave that to the readers to correct as I was trying
to demonstrate how to use Gambas more than I was trying to teach good
coding skills (something we could probably all take a refresher on)
<grin>.  You will find, if you read the chapter on errors, that I do
cover the topic of making your code more robust.  Keep sending your
feedback - it is all welcome!

regards,
jr

From: Charlie Reinl <Karl at ...1168...>
 A Beginner's Guide to Gambas (2)
2005-10-14 08:57

 Salut John,

 this is what I found in the book.

 -- a little bit of notation but misunderstood, bad for beginners
 DIM sStringLength AS Integer
 ~ page 125 (2*)

 sDateTime = Val(Str$(Now))
 PRINT sDateTime; " is a string representation of current system time."
 page 143

 page 296 and 297 are very intersting for a beginner, oh yeah

 page 348 the line befor END WITH has wrong fontsize.( page 344 also one
line)

 Amicalment
 Charlie