[Gambas-user] New gambas tutorial

Daniel Oxley oxleyd at ...699...
Wed Mar 9 11:58:54 CET 2005

Yeah, I thought anout doing it that way but you could end up being on it for
days deciding on the wording.  So I mostly did grammer and a few re-writes
where it did not make any sense.

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Dave sharples
Sent: 09 March 2005 11:53
To: Gambas
Subject: RE: [Gambas-user] New gambas tutorial

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 10:01, Daniel Oxley wrote:
> David,
>
> Here you have my suggestions for changes.  I read the document and on
> a whole it is very good.  Most of the changes are just minor grammer
things!

> The left column is the original text and the right column is the
> amended text with the changes highlighted.  I hope it makes sense.  If
> anyone else wants to make sure that I did not make any mistakes, feel
> free.  After all, I did not score too highly at English in school,
> although mostly because I was not always there or paying attention ;-)
>
> Espero que te ayude.  Avisame si necesitas algo mas.  So no lo
> comprendes, enviame un correo.
>
> Daniel

You've managed to correct the grammatical errors but I think the document
still loses some meanings in translation. Thats probably why I was surprised
you got it done so quickly.

I was doing a more literal re-write (perhaps I understood david wrong ?)

as an example -

Being a literal translation I found the following paragraph very confusing -

When creating the menu entries and the buttons that, in the properties
window, there is a property called "Group", besides the typical properties
like name, caption, etc. This option is very interesting, because we can
associate the same code to different controls with the same funcion, for
example, the menu entry "Open" and the button "Open"
must do the same task: open a file on disk. Using the "Group" property, we
write the code for this task once.

so I was re-writing it to make it clearer, like such -

 When creating the menu entries you will notice that besides the typical
properties like name, caption, etc. there is also a property called "Group",
form buttons also have this "Group" property as you can see  by selecting a
button and viewing its properties in the Properties window. This option is
very interesting, because we can associate the same code to different
controls with the same funcion, for example, the menu entry "Open" and the
button "Open" must do the same task: open a file from disk. Using the
"Group" property, we write the code for this task only once.

I think more clarification on what exactly is wanted is needed, any input
anyone,

Dave