[Gambas-user] modem

Eldon Eller eeller at ...826...
Mon Mar 7 19:04:21 CET 2005

YADQ that is not even really gambas. Here is the story:

I have a little mickey-mouse program written in VB that runs on Windows,
and have written a (mostly) duplicate program in Gambas that runs on
Linux (SuSE 9.2) in my dual-boot system. The two programs share the same
data from a FAT32 partition. So far, so good. One feature I included in
the VB program was to use my modem to dial a selected phone number. I
would like to include that feature in the Gambas version. I assume that
I can do this via the appropriate serial port. The exemplary program
"SerialPort" seems like a good guide.

Now here is my problem: I do not know the name of the serial port to
which my modem is attached. If I use YAST to look for modems, it finds
"AZtech HSP modem 56" (not configured). If I set about to configure it,
I get a screen that has, among other things, a label, "Modem Device:,"
next to an empty box (cannot write to the box). If I peer into
/dev/modems, I find a single item, a Character Device of size 0 Bytes
named "mwave". If I run the "SerialPort" example and enter
/dev/modems/mwave, (or anything else I can think of, for that matter, I
get the message "Error Opening Serial Port."

I assume that this happens because I am trying to open a non-existent
serial port. If that assumption is correct, how do I go about finding
the name of the modem serial port?

My apologies in advance for dumb question. I am as ignorant as a post
regarding linux.

EEE