[Gambas-user] Problem with the EXEC[] function

Rolf Schmidt rolf.frogs at ...221...
Mon Mar 7 15:44:45 CET 2005

Hi

I fight since three days agains the EXEC[] function for external calls.

First why I use it: I would like to have some special setup for a postgresql
database.
Second: Postgresql is requiered because I need a lot of it's capabilities
which are not available in mysql.

Third: I would check if the setup of the database returns no error.

The code example:

PUBLIC DBisCreated AS Boolean

PUBLIC SUB Process_Read()
  DIM sline AS String

  LINE INPUT #LAST, sline
'  message.Info(sline)

  returndata = returndata & sline
  IF sline = "CREATE DATABASE" THEN
    DBisCreated = TRUE
  ELSE
    DBisCreated = FALSE
  ENDIF
END

PUBLIC FUNCTION createDB() AS Boolean
  CAskDB.ShowModal()
  EXEC ["createdb", "-h", FHV.konfig.Key("host"), "-U",
            FHV.konfig.Key("user"), "-E", "UNICODE",
            FHV.konfig.Key("database")] WAIT FOR READ
' why is the flag always false?
  IF DBisCreated = TRUE THEN
    EXEC ["psql", "-h", FHV.konfig.Key("host"), "-u", FHV.konfig.Key("user"),
             "-d", FHV.konfig.Key("database"), "-f",
             "/home/entwicklung/hausverwaltung/HV/pgdatabase"] WAIT FOR READ
' why does this function never comes back - could it be, that it sends some
' informations via the error chanel? - How can I fetch these too?
  ENDIF
END

Many thanks for any help
Rolf