[Gambas-user] database eof and bof

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sun Mar 6 07:20:25 CET 2005

On Sunday 06 March 2005 00:58, Neil Fallon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have searched the archive and checked the documentation but can't
> seem to find an answer.  Does Gambas support EOF and BOF when
> working with databases?  In VB you would write something like
>
> If rsResult.EOF = True Then
> 	do something
> Else
> 	do something else
> End If
>

> If it doesn't support EOF and BOF what is the suggested way of
> trapping the beginning and end of a database if the items aren't
> loaded into a list or combobox?

EOF and BOF are merged into one property, "Available".  r.Available in
Gambas is like "not r.EOF" in VB.

(r as Result, as I usually do)

r.MoveNext
If r.Available Then
	' gimme some data
Else
	' close the DB
End If

I agree that this should be documented better or mentioned in the
DifferencesFromVB page.  Here is the page on Available:

http://www.binara.com/gambas-wiki/bin/view/Gambas/GbDbResult

Note that when you're iterating through a whole recordset, rather than
doing the Do...Loop thing, in Gambas it's easier to use For
Each...Next thing.

FOR EACH r
  ' gimme some data
NEXT

No BOF, EOF or Available required.  Of course if you're moving forward
and backward at the whims of a user, you're stuck checking
r.Available.

Rov