[Gambas-user] Gambas.org is free

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Fri Mar 4 01:42:48 CET 2005

On Thursday 03 March 2005 18:18, Leo Barnhoorn wrote:
> I like to help but see below.

Yeah, that's a domain squatter.

These days there's no use announcing to a list that a domain is
available.... if you don't grab it the same day it expires
someone like these guys will get it. That is what happened
today. As the guy responsible for the site you get if you put
"gambas" into Google and click "I'm Feeling Lucky", Benoit
should expect an email in a couple days or weeks offering to
sell it to him for US$2000 or so. Also, anyone hoping to correct
this problem by shelling out for a domain, DO NOT request a
quote, because every time someone does the price will increase
dramatically. It's even possible the squatter will not sell the
domain, but only "rent" it to you at an exorbitant price.

The bottom line is that gambas.org will now almost certainly not
be available for the foreseeable future.... the domain for a
mailing list I was on expired accidentally in 1999, and the
squatter is STILL sitting on it.  All because someone posted
about it to the list rather than just spending the 10 euros to
register it and then transfer it to Benoit.  (I don't mean any
disrespect to Fabien, because most people don't know how these
people operate... just explaining how to prevent these things
from happening in the future.)

Interesting that the registration seems to have been created in
the future.

Rob