[Gambas-user] Re: Maybe a weird question

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Jun 29 16:54:13 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 02:58, Joseph Murphy wrote:
> Found them.  /usr/local/lib/gambas2  I guess I'm just tired. They
> don't have the same file names that Rob listed but there are text
> files that explain them.  One thing that is interesting is I have
> every shared library is present in three different file names.  For
> example I have gb.db.so, gb.db.so.0 and gb.db.so.0.0.0.  Any idea
> why that would be?

I really don't mean this as an insult, but I'm going to say it anyway.
You don't know why .so files get links with a version number and
you're running Slackware, the least user friendly (by design) of the
major Linux distributions?

I think a lot of the end-user weaknesses you say you've found with
Linux to date might actually be weaknesses of Slackware, which was
never meant for end users.  The rest of the world has package
management, automatically updating app shortcut and menu systems,
etc.  Slackware.... has tarballs.

If you really like the "building everything from source" thing I'd
suggest you at least try Gentoo, which goes halfway to package
management with its "portage" system while still allowing you to go
source-only.  I have no idea whether Gambas works on it, but I'm
pretty sure you'll be able to strip it down as much as you like.

Rob