[Gambas-user] Maybe a weird question

Heinz Sporn heinz.sporn at ...1017...
Tue Jun 28 12:23:35 CEST 2005

Hi!

Sorry Maurizio, but I believe you immersed a little too much into
Windoze-like software deployment. There's a reason why no Python, Perl
or let's say PHP application is distributed in a bundle with the
regarding interpreter. There's simply too much flavours of Linux out
there.

And here comes the beauty with all the reusable libraries, application
frameworks and interpreters: your application does not have to bother
wether or not this or that library is installed at all or carries a
specific version number. The only thing you have to say is: I don't care
what type of Linux you're using or what libraries are installed - just
get Gambas running on your fancy machine and you're fine.

Anyway pre-compiled packages would set too much limits. An example: I'm
a happy Gentoo user. Why should I bother with rpms and debs? I would
need the Gambas sources anyway to compile them against may running
environment. A pre-compiled package would propably not even execute on
my machines and if it would run like a lame duck ;-)

Regards

spox

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen